Tuesday 28 April 2015

A New Challenge

I needed to find a happier and more optimistic writing challenge and I found one in the shape of The Daily Telegraph's Short Story Club with its tempting monthly Short Story Competition and the wonderfully friendly and entertaining members. I had been part of the Telegraph's Novel In A Year, led by Louise Doughty and had been lucky enough to be short-listed, so I was very pleased to see the birth of her new column. I created my pseudonym, made an avatar and Bonnie Lass was born! 


Apart from the monthly 2500 word short story, we had fun writing weekly challenges; perhaps it would be to write a short story in 6 words, like the one Hemingway is alleged to have written ...


''For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never worn.''





... or maybe it would be to write a story in less than 200 words.  The brevity was appealing and some of us posted several in the course of a week. It became addictive! Friends were made, jokes were shared and the creative support was amazing. 

I found all of my stories on an old memory stick and will post a couple of my favourites next time. Meanwhile how many 6 word stories can you make up?

2 comments:

  1. I'm rubbish at short stuff. I tried short stories and just didn't know where to start. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are certainly very good at novels, Wendy :-)

      Delete